Saturday, December 13, 2008

Christmas movies

It seems that the older I get the worse the holiday movies get. I'm not sure if they've always been bad and I'm just becoming more and more aware of the storytelling formula or if they are, in fact, getting worse.

I'm not talking about the Grinch and Charlie Brown and all those. Those are like scripture. I mean the Christmas with the Cranks and the Elfs and the holiday movies that try so very, very hard to hit that elusive calendar-themed home run. They all become so predictable and so very, very lame.

The more I think about it, it isn't just holiday movies. There are fewer and fewer movies these days that make me feel like I've spent my time well having watched them. Comedies aren't funny anymore, dramas aren't dramatic, action movies are so unbelievable as to require relableing them as comedies, academy nods are unreliable, romance is replaced with lust.

It's all really irritating. It really is.

No comments:

Post a Comment