Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Invalidated... again.

It really annoys me how easily I am dismissed by pretty much everyone I know. I'm not the smartest guy in the world, but I'm certainly not the dumbest. I read a lot, I watch a lot of intelligent movies and television... sometimes. I listen to enlightening music and I pray a lot. I involve myself in group discussions and I think I can hold my own on a variety of topics. So why do I get the feeling that everyone is just waiting for me to stop talking so the "grown-ups" can talk?

I have some theories.

The first problem is that I'm kind of an ass. I have a hard time not making jokes about everything. I'm getting better at recognizing inappropriate humor when I think of it, but that recognition isn't enough to convince me to keep my mouth shut.

The second problem is that I never went to college. Well, I went. I took four classes, then dropped one because I didn't want to write a paper on speech pathology. I decided that I wasn't ready.

So, no proper education and a foot perpetually in my mouth. These are the reasons why my wife and my peers don't take me seriously.

The real irony is that the only time I'm taken seriously is when I'm joking.

The end.

No comments:

Post a Comment