Monday, May 25, 2009

Macy won't sleep...

It's 5:10 in the morning on Monday, May 25. Memorial Day. A holiday. No daycare today. I get to sleep in. What better way to celebrate this privilege than by waking up early and writing about it! It was Macy's idea, actually, so I can't take full credit.

It started Friday night when Jack and I camped out in the backyard. Surely you remember that. If not, just scroll down and look at the pictures. I'll wait... As I said in that post, I did not sleep epically well. As a result, Saturday was a blur. I was irritable and fun, no doubt. On Sunday we went to Betsy's mom's for a barbecue and I bought a bike at a yard sale. I know, right? A yard sale? On Sunday? Cuh-razy! Anyway, I bought a bike. Then I rode it a bunch and got all sweaty and sore. It didn't take long.

On Thursday (out of order, I know... deal with it), our garbage disposal stopped working. Timely and sensible me decided that last night around midnight would be the best time to finally take a look at it. The diagnosis: I don't know crap about garbage disposals. We're calling someone to take a look at it. But we can't call them out today unless we want to pay a ridiculous emergency holiday charge. Which we don't. So we won't. Call them, I mean.

Anyway, I finally got to bed last night around 1:00. I fell asleep (I'm guessing) sometime around 1:30. Then, around 4:00 or so, Macy woke up crying. Betsy sat up with her for half an hour and then came into our room, where I lay in a half-doze, and tagged me in for my shift. Here I sit in my daughter's room writing this while she races around her room, oblivious to my pleadings, dragging out all of her toys. And at this unbearable hour I am reminded to thank my children's aunts, uncles, and grandparents for buying so many loud toys. Their kindness WILL be repaid.

3 comments:

  1. OK.....here's the REAL story about Monday morning....we BOTH went to bed around 1:00 AM. you started snoring rather loudly (which, I might add, is something you've started doing lately, and it keeps me awake at night until I lightly tap you or push you a little bit to change your position, then you stop snoring for a few minutes). Jack woke me up at 1:30 AM because he needed to pee. After he was back in bed, I had to try to fall asleep again amidst your lovely snoring. It took a while. Macy started crying at 3:30 AM. This is SO NOT LIKE HER to cry in the middle of the night, so I thought something was actually wrong. Her crying never woke you up. I went in there to see what was the matter and discovered that she was fine, but just done sleeping. Since 3:30 AM is not really an appropriate time to wake up for the day, I sat on her chair rubbing her back and trying to get her to go back to sleep. By 4:00 I decided she could cry it out to fall back asleep. I lay in bed listening to her cry till 4:45 when you suddenly sat up and had just heard her crying for the first time. I'd ALREADY been up for over an hour. You said you'd go in there to see if you could get her to go back to sleep. I feel asleep FINALLY at about 5:00 and woke up again at 6:30 wondering where you were? Then, I came in her room and discovered that she had just been playing for the past hour and a half and you told me you HAD to go back to bed for a few hours! It actually seemed to me that our "morning" had been just about equal in terms of how much sleep we each got. Don't forget, we're adding another infant to this mix in just a few months, and I'm certain I'll be the one awake in the middle of the night. So, that's the real story.....not quite as dramatic as Matt may have made it....Except for the loud toys. The kids sure do have a lot of oud toys.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know what? Write this crap on your own blog, Betsy. Sorry I didn't have time to interview everyone at the scene to create a well-rounded description of the events. I drew from my own experience only, which, I might add, is sort of the point of an autobiographical blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. interesting. this brings up a lot to think about before having children. really. i know, i know.. ."you have to have them" but, nonetheless, interesting.

    ReplyDelete