Saturday, May 23, 2009

Roughing it

I went camping last night with Jack in our backyard. He's never been camping before and I wasn't sure how he'd do, but he really enjoyed it. We had a campfire and made s'mores and looked at the stars and watched a movie on my laptop. Just like the settlers did it.

So, here are my camping pros and cons:

Pro- You step out of your comfort zone
Con- You end up being very uncomfortable

Pro- You get to roast marshmallows
Con- You have to eat bitter, charred marshmallows













Pro- You get to light a big fire and stare at it, occasionally feeding further bits of fuel into it as the night progresses
Con- Your wife frequently pokes her head out the backdoor and reminds you not to burn the house down... although this event isn't exclusive to camping















Pro- You get to put up a big tent and wrap up in sleeping bags and blankets
Con- You have to evaluate what you can't live without for the night and then realize, too late, that you forgot something and when you call your wife to ask her, your voice dripping honey, to bring it out to you, she just hangs up and refuses to answer her phone for the rest of the night, no matter how many times you call and then you're forced to get up go get whatever you forgot yourself (not based on actual events, just a hypothetical situation)

Pro- You get to sleep in the open air, experiencing the glorious morning, straight from the factory, so-to-speak
Con- Birds wake up early

Anyway, I'm not an outdoorsman. I'm barely an indoorsman. I have gotten soft in my old age and I don't feel bad about it. What I do feel bad about is my back, which is stiff, sore, and aching from sleeping on God's Mattress, which is how I will forever after refer to my backyard.

No comments:

Post a Comment